Back to Pokhara and time to summarize 6/3/2022 10:56:21 AM

We rested at Annapurna base camp for a few hours and after having lunch we headed towards Nayapyul. Mika has been on a diet for five days, because of stomach problems. Even though it was bittersweet to take the last look at Tent Peak, we are convinced that decision not to ascend any further yesterday was right. It would have been too risky, because of possible landslides.

Despite of physical stress of last days, we descended fast, passed Machu Puchare base camp in 40 minutes and we arrived at Bamboo around 5 pm. We spent evening with familiar routines and fell asleep at 9 pm. In the morning we woke up at 6 am and took off after one hour morning chores. We traipsed fast to the path which leads to Chamrong and climbed 400 vertical meters in burning heat. After lunch we continued steep descend and ran across to a local home appliance delivery, which gave some perspective to climbing overall.

In the afternoon we followed spectacular river Modi Khola and got shade from trees in the river valley. It would have been wonderful to take a white water rafting trip on the river. Accompanied by rafting thoughts we spent the night in the Tea House. On Saturday morning we woke up at 6 am and stone steps from previous days were just a memory. Soon we were in Nayapul where our return ride to Pokhara waited for us.

Overall, we are satisfied with the trip despite the fact that we did not have as much time we would have liked. Our guide told that he has not met a group that has done ABC (and even further) in such a short time. This was excellent training and a good introduction to some risk factors and local culture. Cleanliness and getting used to Nepalese diet is very important. Insufficient hygiene can quickly cause diarrhea. No need to say, that stomach problems lower energy levels very fast, which is not desirable when a lot of energy is needed. Mental wellbeing goes hand in hand with physical wellbeing.

During this trip we wanted to learn more about our limits and bodies’ reaction to high altitudes. Therefore we ascended rapidly. On Tuesday morning we were at 2340 and next night we spent at 3700m and the night after that at 4450 m. On Friday morning we took off at the sun rise and were encouraged to make good progress. From 4650 m we were not able to continue due to circumstances. At that point we had reached the edge of the glacier, which was surrounded by seracs. Due to lack of time we did not have the possibility to build a route through seracs. This altitude caused headache and had some impact on our ability to function. All in all, our systems adapted to altitude very well until 4000 m, but from that point onwards it is very important to reserve enough time for acclimatization.

Ascensio Team
Bookmark and Share